SBT Car News

Traffic Congestion In Kenya Needs To Be Addressed Now!

Traffic-Jam-Kenya

According to the research findings, $500,000 per day is an approximated and estimated loss due to ever increasing traffic congestion on Kenya roads. The city was constructed to accommodate the maximum population of 350000 people but the figure today has swelled to about 3.4 million recently. In such circumstances the countries are expected to invest heavily in infrastructure development, but an investment to build roads and bridges is quite expensive itself.

Twendi Twendi, the reputable and recognized mobile phone division was founded and set up by IBM Corporation in Nairobi. The division came forward with a cheap solution to Kenya’s emerging congestion problem. The twendi division proposed the capturing of the images through affordable and cheap camera installation on roads. The collected data could be utilized for building traffic flow algorithms and proposing solutions how to make flow better in every area and locality. The results acquired from incorporation of such a system would be significantly cheaper as opposed to development of infrastructure.

However, with pros there are certain barriers attached to every plan. So is the case with employing cameras in the city. Researchers at IBM Corporation have highlighted two important technical complications of the plan: poor image quality and restricted reach of the city cameras.

In view of the arguments and discussions by the researchers, the solutions put forward to tackle with the technical problems are: that the poor quality images acquired will be used to determine what percentage of road is visibly congested, for instance, instead of identifying individuals cars and makes one would identify that 20 percent of road is congested at this moment of time and then derive the solution accordingly. Similarly the second problem could be addressed in a way that IBM would formulate such a model that if 5 percent camera reach is possible, the model could tell about the rest 95% through calculations and estimations.

This spectacular system is already working in Nairobi. The service in Kenya is available on two telecommunication networks; Airtel and Safaricom so far. It is not long after, the traffic on Kenya roads could be better navigated without unnecessary or expensive expenditures.

 IBM